Friday, March 14, 2008

A Desire for Knowledge

Perhaps I was never really interested in philosophy because I grew up with it. My father is a philosopher professor, and one of the foremost philosophy scholars in the world. He's given lectures in many different countries.

Or maybe I just wasn't interested because I was young and uninterested in deep thinking. Superficiality should be a sin. I look back at the trip I took to Taiwan with my dad back about two and a half years ago, and I wish I had gone and sat in on even just one lecture. I think now that it wouldn't have mattered whether or not I had understood everything.

Something inside me longs to learn about what my father loves so much.

He came to my English class today, to explain Nietzsche to us and the link Nietzsche's philosophies have to the book we're reading, "Crime and Punishment". I found myself fascinated with every word. I understood it. I'm unsure whether or not that's because I've absorbed the things my father has said philosophically throughout my life, or if it's just something that comes easily to me.

I want to learn more. I want to understand.



Listening to: "beat a path" by Kimeru
Eating: Nothing - going to White Day dinner soon
Reading: "Crime and Punishment"
Watching: Shaman King ep. 25 - A Shaman's Journey
Wanting: Knowledge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I didn't know your dad was such a philosipher. That's awsome. You and your dad will have more to talk about. ;)
And I know the feeling. You can never get enough knowledge or brainspace to carry it all.